Entries for the 2023 Geelong Business Excellence Awards open on the 4th of May 2023.
Here are some 2023 tips provided from the Chairman - Simon Flowers
The most asked question is How do I write a winning entry?
1. A winning entry is often one with well-considered answers accompanied with evidence.
When writing your entry, have in the back of your mind… how can I validate my statements?
Use statistics/graphs, industry benchmarks, testimonials etc.
2. Make sure you address ALL the entry criteria with equal importance. For example, don’t
just provide an exceptional answer for the innovation question. By providing well-considered
answers for ALL the criteria, this will put you in the BEST position to become a finalist.
3. Attend an information session organised by the Geelong Chamber of Commerce, which
provide valuable tips from the judges and past winners. If you are unable to make any of
the sessions, a recording will be made available on gbea.com.au
4. Don’t get overwhelmed with the criteria. You just need to make a start! Write down your
top 10 points for each question and in no time, you will have addressed the entry criteria.
5. Do NOT go over the total word count of 2500. We do count and if you exceed the limit,
you won’t be eligible to become a finalist.
6. We encourage you to write bullet points to address the entry criteria—it’s not a thesis.
7. Use helpers—you don’t need to write it yourself. Speak or email the GBEA team if you are looking
for writing assistance on 03 5222 2234 or email@example.com. Better still, allocate sections to your employees to
complete. It is a great way to get your team involved.
8. As a first step, I encourage you to save your answers in a word document. Once complete,
then copy and paste your answers into the online entry. It’s always good to have a backup!
9. If you are a first-time entrant or have never been a finalist in the Geelong Business
Excellence Awards (businesses and individual entrants), I encourage you to use our review
service. You just need to submit your answers to the entry criteria in a word document to
the awards team at firstname.lastname@example.org before the 4th of July. This is a
complimentary service, whereby our review judges will read your submission and provide
feedback on how the submission may be improved.
10. If you are shortlisted as a finalist, I encourage you to maximise the opportunity. Attend
events you are invited to, network with fellow finalists and sponsors. You just never know;
what opportunities may arise.
I understand many of our entrants are aiming to win a category. However, we also have some
entrants who decide to enter each year as a way to improve their business. This program
gives you a focus for you to work ON your business. Here is a real opportunity to reflect and
gain valuable insights and identify key improvements of your business. Best of all, the only
thing it costs to do this, is your time.
Best of Luck!
Principal, LBW Business + Wealth Advisors
Geelong Business Excellence Awards Chair of Judging